State College of Beauty Culture raises $2,800 for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
We would like to thank the students, staff and clients at State College of Beauty Culture for raising $2,800 for the Central Wisconsin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® in October 2012 during their annual breast cancer awareness fundraiser. With a little help and lots of creativity, the school and salon hosted various opportunities for all to get involved and give what they could to the cause.
“We had students and staff pay to wear jeans. Char Luedtke, an instructor at State College of Beauty Culture, made chocolate covered pretzels that we sold and we had a potato bar and brat fry for anyone who came by on specific days,” said Betty Prochnow, State College of Beauty Culture Administrative Assistant. ”We also sold pink ribbon pins and bracelets along with handmade flower clips for your hair made by Gina Haboush, also an instructor here.”
State College of Beauty Culture also held a Cut-A-Thon. All haircut proceeds for that day were donated. Clients also ”fished for a cure” by fishing or picking a box that awarded them a free salon service.
Donations events such as this make a vital impact in our communities. Annually up to 75% of the Affiliate’s net income funds grants to local not-for-profit community organizations that provide breast health education, breast cancer screening, treatment and support programs for medically underserved women. The remaining net income (a minimum of 25%) supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.
Click here to for more information on hosting your own fundraising event.